భారతదేశపు చారిత్రాత్మక దేవాలయాలు

Kanipakam Varasidhi Vinayaka Swamy

 Sri Swayambu Varasidhi Vinayaka Swamy

Main Temple
 Kanipakam is a small village on the bank of Bahuda River.

"Kani" means wetland and "Pakam" means flow of water into wetland. According to the legend of the temple there were three brothers and each one had a handicap. Viz., Dumb, Deaf and Blind. They were earning out their livelihood by cultivating a small piece of land.
In olden days water was drawn from the well by way of 'Piccota System'. As one of them used to irrigate the field through the channels, the other two used to ply on the Piccota. On one such operation they found that the water in the well got dried up and they could no longer continue their job. One of them got into the well and started digging it up. He was taken aback to see the iron implement hitting a stone like formation.

Later, he was shocked to see blood oozing out from it. Within in a few seconds the entire water in the well, turned blood red in colour. Thus, startled by this divine sight, all the three became normal getting rid of their deformities. As soon as the villagers came to know about this miracle, they thronged to the well and tried to deepen the well further. But their attempt proved futile because the 'swayambhu' idol (the self-manifested) of Lord Vinayaka emerged from the swirling waters.

Ultimately they offered many number of coconuts with all prayers- modesty kneeling before the new idol afford “MAGALHARATHI” etc. They declared the ideal of “SWAYAMBHU” and tendered number of coconuts. The coconuts water flowed into the channel to a distance of more than one and a quarter acres. The indication of this led to the modification in the usage of the Tamil word “KANIPARAKAM” and later pronounced as KANIPAKAM. Even today the idol is in the original well and the springs of the well are perennial and the eternal. During the rainy season, the holy water from the well overflows even today.

Another striking and strange feature of the idol is that it is still growing in size. At present, we can see the knees and the abdomen of the idol. Smt. Lakshmamma, an ardent devotee had offered a 'Kavacham' (Armour) to the Lord, fifty years ago but today it is out of size and doesn't fit the idol. The holy water from the well is offered to the devotees as theertham.


The legend behind Bahuda River
Long ago there lived two brothers Sankha and Likhita. They were on a pilgrimage to Kanipakam. As the journey was tiring, the younger brother Likhita felt hungry. Disregarding the advice of the elder brother he plucked a mango from the mango grove. Sankha felt bad and reported this to the ruler of that area and pleaded for punishment for the sin committed during the pilgrimage. Thus Likhita was punished severely being deprived of both arms.



Bahuda River 

Later they took bath in the river near Kanipakam temple. Lo Behold! The chopped arms were restored to Likhita as soon as he had a dip in the sacred waters of the river. These incidents lead the ruler to rename the river as 'Bahuda' (Bahu means human arm). Thus the river beside Kanipakam temple is now known as 'Bahuda River'.


Sri Varasiddhi Vinayaka as up-holder of 'Truth'
The swayambhu idol of Kanipakam is the up-holder of truth. Day to day disputes between people is resolved by taking a 'special oath'. The people in the dispute take a holy dip in the temple tank and swear before the lord. It is taken as gospel truth.

There are instances when the person who committed that sin voluntarily agrees as soon as he had the dip and much before entering the temple itself. It seems the Lord lawns invisibly on the sinner and makes him repent & feel guilty for his sinful deeds.

Thus the glory of Sri Varasiddhi Vinayaka spread far and wide and the honorable courts uphold the 'special oath' in their judicial pronouncements.

Festivals: Bramhostavams
The annual Brahmotsavam commences from Ganesh Chaturthi. It goes on for 20 days with all traditional pomp and gaiety. The utsavamurthi (Festive idol) is taken out in procession on all the days colourfully decked on different vahanams (Carriages). The soulful participation of the devotees is praise worthy. The float festival attracts pilgrims from all over the country.
  • motsavam 
  • Hamsa Vahanam
  • Peacock Vahanam
  • Mooshika Vahanam
  • Shasha Vahanam
  • Vrishabha Vahanam
  • Gaja Vahanam
  • Rathotsavam(Chairot)
  • Thiru KalyanamVadayathu Utsavam
History

The temple was constructed in the early 11th century CE by the Chola king Kulothunga Chola I and was expanded further in 1336 by the Emperors of Vijayanagara dynasty.
There is an interesting legend about the sthalapurana of this ancient temple which has 1000 years history. About 1000 years back, three physically handicapped blind, dumb and deaf persons were eaking their livelihood by cultivating a piece of land near Viharapuri village. On one day two persons were taking out water with the help of a picot and the thisd person was irrigating the land. After some time water was exausted in the well. One person took a spade and hit a stone inside the well and blood started flowing continuously, when the three handicapped pesons touched the water mixed with blood, surprisingly they became normal persons. After digging for some time they found an idol of Lord Sri Vinayaka in the well with an injury on the head oozing with blood. They could not take out the idol as it was growing in size,as they were digging. They informed the villagers about this surprising phenomena. People came running with cocunuts and other pooja materials to worship the Lord Sri Vinayaka. They broke thousands of Coconuts, the coconutwater was spread to an area of one and quarter acre. In the local language it is called as "Kani". That is how the palce was called as "Kanipakam" since then.

Even now we can see the well around Sri Vinayaka idol. Always water is seen around the idol. We can also see the wound on the head of the idol.

Anohter astonishing feature is that the idol is growing in size. In 1947 a devotee Sri Bezawada Siddaiah of Aragonda Gollapalli village presented a Silver Kavacha to the Lord which correctly fitted the idol. Now, it is not fitting the idol. As the idol is growing in size. Always there will be water at the same level around the base of the idol in all seasons. This sacred water is given as theertham to all other devotees.

It is believed that the idol will be growing in size regularly until the end of Kaliyuga and in the end Lord Sri Vinayaka will appear in person.

Another interesting feature here is that if a person swears(Pramaanam) about a particular incident, it is taken as 'truth'. Most of the disputes are settled by this method. People take it as more than a court judgement. if anybody does false swearing beforehim, Lord Sri Vinayaka shall punish him. For this swearing ceremony a sum of Rs. 516/- is collected by temple authorities. This ceremony is done everyday. Thus people get instance justice here.

In the ancient Vedas Lord Sri Vinayaka hailed as possesser of gunas of all gods, gandharvas, demons and human beings. In 'Adarvaseershopanishath' Lord Sri Vinayaka is extolled as the parabhramha embodiment of paramathma that have (The absolute). hence by taking 'Ganapathi deeksha' the devotees can fulfill all their wishes with the blessings of Lord Ganesha. The deeksha will be for a of 41 days (Mandalam), 21 days (half mandalam), 11 days(Ekadasa). It is like Swamy Iyyappa (or) Lord Sivadeeksha. And the rules and regulations are almost the same. Sri Ganesh Deeksha can be started in any Ganesh temple but should end at Sri Varasidhi Vinayaka Temple at Kanipakam only.

1 comment:

  1. ancient temple... most powerful god... awesome site. hanuman chalisa for all

    ReplyDelete